1. About ERNET India
ERNET India is an autonomous scientific society under the administrative control of Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology, Government of India having one of the largest nationwide terrestrial and satellite network with 5 points of presence located at the premier academic and research institutions in major cities of the country. Focus of ERNET India is not limited to just providing connectivity, but to meet the entire needs of the academic and research institutions by providing consultancy, project management, training and other value added services such as web hosting, e-mail services, video conferencing, domain registration, CUG services.
2. Vision and mission Statements
ERNET India’s vision is to be the number one brand in the chosen field and to be recognized as one of the most prestigious organizations offering quality service through innovation, speed, flexibility and empowered employees. The vision is the guiding principle, a dream that is realistic, credible and achievable ERNET India’s mission is to benefit Education and Research institutions at large-through innovation, quality productivity, human development and growth, always striving for excellence, within the framework of policies and mandate given by Ministry of Information Technology.
3. Details of business Transacted
(I) Communication is the key--in more ways than one. And a prerequisite for communicating is a connection, a link....ERNET India supports different connectivity options to connect wider user bases located even in remote areas.
- Terrestrial Link : This kind of connectivity is suitable where telecom network is well developed and dedicated leased line can be hired from DOT or other basic service providers. Such links are primarily for 64Kbps and 2Mbps speed.
- Radio Link :This kind of connectivity requires line of sight clearance from the network node to the concerned site. Radio links are very reliable and operational cost includes only maintenance of the equipment and a nominal licence fee to DOT.
- VSAT :ERNET India operates INSAT based VSAT network in C-Band for providing Internet access to academic and research institutions located all over the country. The Central Earth Station-cum- Network Operations Centre is located at Bangalore. The Hub is connected to ERNET terrestrial backbone through a dedicated link at Bangalore. The VSAT network provides two types of services, viz., TDM/F- TDMA based shared VSATs and dedicated SCPC / DAMA VSATs. The FTDMA Broadband VSAT network has Digital Video Broadcast (DVB) compliant out route capable of reaching 66 Mbps. The in route is capable of going up to 2Mbps data rates. The network architecture has enhanced IP features for full flexibility i.e. DHCP, NAT, IGMP, IP prioritization and ACL. It supports all standard IP applications such as broadband Internet/Intranet, VoIP, IP multicast, video conferencing, etc.
(II) Web Hosting
Web hosting is one of the thrust areas of ERNET India. Web sites are hosted for the sole purpose of providing rich content to the education and research community.
4. Details of Grievance redress mechanism
A Web site has been developed with columns of Help Desk and Feedback to take on customer complaints. Complaints and suggestions of users and customers are considered/studied and necessary action is taken . The user is also informed through e-mail about the improvements and actions taken on their suggestions. An information and facilitations counter for addressing the grievances and suggestions of citizens/clients has been set up by ERNET India. This counter is easily accessible by Citizens/ clients and functions five days a week from 8AM to 8PM. It is manned by a technical officer
5. Expectations from Clients/ Citizens
Customers are expected to provide feedback on performance, not just once but on an ongoing and continual basis. This helps in understanding the customer needs in the following ways:
- If there is a problem with service, the solution can be provided immediately which will improve the quality of service
- This would help the service provider to know the likes and dislikes of the customer ,which in turn would reflect in providing good services.