Centre of Excellence for IoT - MeitY, NASSCOM, ERNET initiative to help the IoT start up ecosystem
The Centre of Excellence for IoT was announced by the Prime Minister Narendra Modi in July 2015 as a part of Digital India Initiative to jump start the IOT ecosystem taking advantage of India’s IT strengths and help the country attain a leadership role in the convergent area of hardware and software. The main objective of the center is to create innovative applications and domain capability by harnessing the innovative nature of startup community and leveraging the experience of corporate players.
- To create innovative applications and domain capability across vertical for country's needs such as Smart City, Smart Health, Smart Manufacturing, Smart Agriculture, and others.
- To build industry capable talent, start-up community, and entrepreneurial ecosystem for IoT.
- To provide an ecosystem for innovation to thrive and embrace entrepreneurship.
- To energise research mind-set and reduce cost in Research and Development by providing neutral and interoperable, multi technology stack laboratory facilities.
- To reduce import dependency on IoT components and promote indigenization.
- To position India as a provider of end-to-end solution in engineering space.
- To provide environment for product creation, testing and validation.
The program has done well since its inception and its objectives and scope have grown. Program has created strong start-ups ecosystem and connected to large number of start-ups throughout the country which are benefited in different ways in development and showcasing of their products. CoE IoT Bangalore center has become the most vibrant center and well recognized start-ups ecosystem in the country by not just innovators but also industry players, both the technical players and user industries. The major achievementsof program are:
- 80 Start-ups enrolled in house, connected with 1075 start-ups pan India
- 100 IoT researchers incubated
- 66 Prototypes showcased
- 23 Papers presented in global conferences
- IP’s applied (post incubation start) -19, Received- 5
- 34 Societal projects executed
- Funds raised by startups - Rs. 118 Cr.
- Revenue raised by start-ups - Rs. 49 Cr.
- Events / Workshops Conducted – 63
- Industries Connected - 119
- Industries Partnered – 35
- Academia Connected- 22
- Govt. Delegations & International delegations hosted at CoE-140
- Partners Signed up: Strategic-16, Co-create-2, Innovation-3, Infrastructure-5, Technology-4